About Cold Spring Church
Cold SPring Presbyterian ChurcH started Its Mission in 1714, and has been looking forward ever since...
The church has held continuous services from 1714 to the present. Our congregation has been influenced, in part, by its history, community, and tradition. Registered as a National Historic Landmark Site, legend tells us that five presidents were visitors: Harrison, Lincoln, Pierce, Taft, and Woodrow Wilson.
Most churches in the early 18th Century were the community's meeting place and our first building was a log meetinghouse. It was upgraded to a frame and shingle church in 1764. The current structure, affectionately known as "Old Brick" for its red brick composition, is of federal design and was erected in 1823 by Thomas Hughes, the architect of well the known Congress Hall in Cape May, New Jersey, located only three miles down the road.
Our Worship Center invites the community at large to experience welcoming, mostly traditional, and definitely engaging celebrations led by our Transformation Pastor (interim), the Rev. Dr. Kevin Yoho. Besides Sunday worship at 10:30 AM, the Worship Center also hosts weddings, funerals, and concerts.
Our campus of more than 150 acres includes parking areas, large lawns, wetlands, and is home to several bald eagles.
Inside the main sanctuary, the pews have individual doors, and there is seating for 200. In the 19th century, a popular means of raising funds during construction was to have church members purchase their own pews. Each pew was then numbered and equipped with its own door and latch, which still exist today. The doors are no longer used, as our understanding has shifted from individual to communal worship.
The U-shaped balcony overlooks the sanctuary and houses an organ, a choir loft and seating for approximately 100 people.
In 1979, Price Hall was erected nearby as a fellowship and social hall, where many community groups meet including the Cape May Garden Club, United States Coast Guard Auxiliary, Cape May Women's Club, among others. The manse (housing for the pastor) is also located on the church campus and was completed in 1958.
The church is surrounded by one of the oldest cemeteries in the United States. The oldest headstone is dated 1742, and is the resting place of Sarah Eldridge Spicer. More Mayflower descendants are buried here than anywhere outside of Massachusetts. Our Mausoleum and recently dedicated Veteran's Memorial Park featuring our nation's flag and each of the United States service flags, is a frequented destination throughout the year.
During the warmer months, Cold Spring Church hosts guided walking tours of our historic campus with docents in period costume recounting the stories in the church's worship center and cemetery grounds. We are also located adjacent to Historic Cold Spring Village, one of our community partners.
For more information, please contact the office at 609-884-4065.
Cold Spring Church is an active partner with our neighbors including community, ecumenical, and service agencies all across Greater Cape May and Cape May County.
Cold Spring Presbyterian Church, located at the corner of Seashore Road and Academy Road in Cold Spring, Lower Township, New Jersey, is a congregation of the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) and West Jersey Presbytery, our regional council.